The following hieroglyphs are all depictions of women and their activities (following Gardiner’s sign list). This list only covers activities which are solely undertaken by women. Activities and occupations which could be performed by men and women can be found on the list of hieroglyphs depicting men.
Det; woman, goddess, daughter, widow, songstress1st person pronoun I, wi, ink, kwi (I, me, my)
Det; be pregnant, conceive
Det; give birth
Det; give birth
Det; to nurse, look after
Det; raise, nurse
Det; Queen’s name
Abb; the sign is an abbreviation of a word,
Det; the sign acts as a determinative (it has no phonetic value, but provides further information about the full word),
Log; the sign is a logogram (it represents an entire word or idea),
Phon; the sign has a phonetic value, and
Phon Det; the sign is a phonetic determinant (it acts as a determinative but also has a phonetic value).
- A: Man and his occupations
- B: Woman and her occupations
- C: Anthropomorphic Deities
- D: Parts of the body
- E: Mammals
- F: Parts of Mammals
- G: Birds
- H: Parts of Birds
- I: Amphibious Animals, Reptiles, etc.
- K: Fishes and Parts of Fishes
- L: Invertebrata and Lesser Animals
- M: Trees and Plants
- N: Sky, Earth, Water
- O: Buildings and Parts of Buildings
- P: Ships and Parts of Ships
- Q: Domestic and Funerary Furniture
- R: Temple Furniture and Sacret Emblems
- S: Crowns, clothing and staves
- T: Warfare, Hunting, Butchery
- U: Agriculture, Crafts and Professions
- V: Rope, Fibre, Baskets, Bags, etc.
- W: Vessels of Stone and Earthenware
- X: Loaves and Cakes
- Y: Writing, Games, Music
- Z: Strokes, Geometrical Figures, etc.
- Aa: Unclassified
copyright J Hill 2008